On August the 31st this year a memorial stone was laid to commemorate Freshwater Middle School.
The school opened in 1906 as Freshwater Council School, built by Twymans the local builders and opened by the Island’s MP Godfrey Baring. The school changed over the years becoming Freshwater Central School, West Wight Secondary Modern, latterly West Wight Middle School, including an added Pre-Agricultural Unit. Pupil numbers rose from 160 in 1906 to 368 in 2011, with 23 staff.
A former pupil raised the idea of commemorating the school in some way, and Pauline Tyrell took on the job of raising funds for the project.
A block of granite from the old Hatherwood Battery at Alum Bay was offered by Keith Burton, and craftsmen from Wight Stone Masonry produced a commemorative stone with ceramic plaque engraved with a view of the school, and an inscription with the school’s history
On the 26th August the stone was laid in place by Keith Burton and Colin Piper
The event started with a well attended display of photographs was shown in the Wesley Hall.
The FAT Samba Band then led the crowd from the Wesley Hall to the site of the stone’s unveiling.
After speeches by Janet Haire and the High Sheriff, Robin Courage, Bertie Whistance gave a trumpet solo.
With a final address by Linda Barnes the stone was unveiled with a flourish by the High Sheriff.
After photographs the Samba Band then led the assembled crowd back to the Wesley Hall for refreshments.
The day ended amidst coffee and sausage rolls and many reminiscences with ex-pupils meeting long lost classmates and teachers from their childhood.